US/UK Obstructing Douma Probe?by Stephen Lendman (stephenlendman.org – Home – Stephen Lendman)
Clear evidence shows the alleged April 7 Douma CW incident was a false flag – US and UK dirty hands almost surely behind it.
Russian Defense Ministry spokesman General Igor Konashenkov said Moscow has “evidence that Britain had a direct involvement in arranging this provocation in Eastern Ghouta” – clearly in cahoots with Washington, both nations partnered in waging war in Syria.
On Friday, Sergey Lavrov stressed the same thing as Konashenkov, saying “Russia has strong evidence proving…UK involvement in staging (an alleged) chemical attack in” Douma.
Western financed, (al-Qaeda-linked) White Helmets were involved, Lavrov added.
No CW attack occurred. Claims otherwise were fabricated. State Department spokeswoman Heather Nauert lied, claiming Washington has “a very high level of confidence” that Assad was responsible – for something that didn’t happen.
Asked if the Trump administration has clear evidence backing its accusation, Heather said sorry, it’s classified. “We are unable to” reveal it.
It’s longstanding US coverup policy, notably on falsely claiming Russian meddling in America’s 2016 presidential election. The Big Lie hasn’t been retracted for lack of credible evidence.
On Monday, US envoy to the OPCW Kenneth Ward lied, claiming “(t)he United States is concerned that Russia may have tampered with the Douma attack site with the intent of thwarting an effective investigation by the OPCW fact-finding mission.”
Nauert repeated the Big Lie, saying Washington has “credible information” (it won’t reveal), indicating “Russian officials have worked with (Damascus) to sanitize the locations of the suspected attacks and remove incriminating evidence of chemical weapons use,” adding:
“We have credible information that indicates (Russia and Syria are) deny(ing) (and) delay(ing) (OPCW) inspectors from gaining access to Douma.”
On Thursday, Russian Deputy Foreign Minister Mikhail Bogdanov said remnants of terrorists in Douma “intimidate” residents.
Their actions delayed the arrival of OPCW inspectors. They should have begun work days ago. Russia and Syria were wrongfully blamed for them not so far entering Douma – a convenient pretext for Washington and Britain to claim delay let Moscow and Damascus “sanitize” the alleged site before their arrival.
Russia is working with Syria to “ensure (the OPCW) mission (in Douma) takes place,” Lavrov explained, adding:
He “hope(s) professionalism will prevail…(W)e will see. We expect honesty…from (OPCW) experts.”
His comments were remarkable given the organization’s disturbing history of pro-Western bias – its record of shame Lavrov is fully aware of.
Delaying its mission to Douma facilitates blaming Syria and Russia for the alleged April 7 incident whatever the results of its probe.
If OPCW findings are negative, Moscow and Damascus will be accused of obstruction. If positive, the organization will be complicit with Washington and Britain about an incident that didn’t happen.
Clear evidence proves accusations of a CW incident in Douma were fabricated.
US, UK and French naked aggression on Syrian sites following the incident was likely prelude for much more to come – especially given the mission’s failure to heavily damage or destroy targeted Syrian military bases.
That was the objective, not eliminating nonexistent Syrian CW facilities.
My newest book as editor and contributor is titled "Flashpoint in Ukraine: How the US Drive for Hegemony Risks WW III."