Many governments and organizations are not taking the Spy Scandal lightly. BRICS countries are building their own internet.
As Reuters notes:
* The BRICS countries make up 21 percent of global GDP. They have increased their share of global GDP threefold in the past 15 years.
* The BRICS are home to 43 percent of the world’s population.
* The BRICS countries have combined foreign reserves of an estimated $4.4 trillion.
* Intra-BRICS trade flows reached $282 billion in 2012 and are estimated to reach $500 billion by 2015. In 2002, it was $27.3 billion.
* IMF estimates of GDP per member in 2012, China $8.25 trillion, Brazil $2.43 trillion, Russia and India at $1.95 trillion each, South Africa $390.9 billion.
Some details still unknown about this new separate internet, such as how will traffic flow between the two internets, and what policies will be enforced on the BRICS internet (such as TLD policies, DNS, routing policies, etc.)